Sunday 23 November 2008

Monthly report back

I thought I’d try to give you a monthly impression of the work I undertake as the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, meeting local people and hearing about their concerns.

I was honoured to attend the local Conservat-ive Party's Annual President's Dinner
at the home of Sir John and Lady Nott (above). Sir John was of course our former Member of Parliament and the Defence Secretary during the Falklands crisis in 1981. The evening was very enjoyable and lively, with up to 70 people attending and a good time was had by all.



I welcomed Jim Paice MP, Shadow Minister for
the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs hear the
concerns of local farmers and the agricultural community. Together we visited Wills’ Green Grocer in Helston (picture above) which is still family run and approaching its’ 70th year as an independent small business. We also met with farmers on the Lizard and they were very keen to raise with Jim the promise of the local badger cull in areas where TB is found in cattle. We also discussed Conservative plans to help farmers, and about the help offered to farmers regarding stabilising the cost of fuel and a programme of deregulation. Jim took all our concerns on board and promised to work hard in Westminster to provide help for farmers in West Cornwall.

Later in the month I welcomed a visitor from just over the water; the Conservative MP for South West Devon; Gary Streeter. Gary and I travelled to Helston to meet parents who have disabled children and as a direct outcome of that meeting a Parent/Carers group in Helston is being established. Afterwards, Gary was kind enough to speak at a large gathering in Marazion Community Centre on the subject of faith and politics, which was a very interesting discussion.

On Saturday 1st November my family and I met farmers at the annual ploughing match at Rosevidney, St Erth, and in the evening we attended the Annual Dinner of the Western Agricultural Association at the Queens Hotel, Penzance.

I was delighted to attend the St Just Feast Civic Parade and Church Service with Cllr Bill East on Sunday 2nd November. On Monday 3rd my family and I returned to St Just for the meet of the Western Hunt and the St Just Feast Celebrations.

On Remembrance Sunday I was honoured to attend the Remembrance Day Parade in Penzance and Church Service at Chapel Street. This is always a busy and emotionally powerful occasion as we join tigether to remember those brave servicemen and women who gave their lives for the sake of the United Kingdom. I laid a wreath on behalf of the St. Ives Constituency Conservative Association.

On Monday 10th November the Lizard Conservatives invited me to a reception with pasties and wine at the Wheel Inn in Cury Cross Lanes, where I was asked to speak about rural issues with local members. The event was very well attended and I know that this is only the first of many activities planned for people living on the Lizard.

On November 13th Mark Prisk MP, the Shadow Minister for Cornwall, came to West Cornwall. I arranged a visit to Helston Medical Centre and St. Keverne and Marazion Surgeries. This fact-finding tour demonstrated the commitment of the Conservative Party to surgeries to retain their right to dispense prescriptions, and again highlighted the sustained attack on rural life by the Labour Government. Mark pledged to make representations in the House of Commons on behalf of West Cornwall.

We also visited fishermen in Newlyn to discuss the problems faced by shipping and fishermen over the proposed location of a wave hub off the north coast of Cornwall. Mark concluded his visit by attending a reception for West Penwith farmers at our home.

On Friday 14th November I attended a meeting of the West Cornwall Healthwatch, of which I am a member, and on Saturday 15th I went to Helston for the opening of a Fair-trade Christmas gift shop and then onto Leedstown for the 50th Anniversary of the village hall. I lived in Leedstown for a short time when I was a teenager.

Those of us in West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly have a great many needs which are simply not addressed by our current MP and Lib Dem run County Council. I’ve been very busy in the last few months to do what I can to help, but there is still so much to do and this is a challenge I relish!

Being the Conservative candidate is busy and exhilarating, and you can be sure that I will continue to work to raise concerns on behalf of those who have been forgotten by the powerful at County Hall and at Westminster!

Beyond my political duties I’ve had the great privilege of being the guest speaker at the Darby & Joan Club in Helston and the Evergreen Club in Mullion. I’ve been interviewed at an evening service at Helston Baptist Church, and I’ve led school assemblies twice at Bolitho School in Penzance.